Saturday, December 9, 2006

Life-long interest in meteorites

Sue and I joke (well I joke she does not think it is such a joke) about when we were in Casco Canyon , (Utah I forget?). It was after the Sun set and it was getting darker by the minute. I urged her that we should get going as I did not want to get stuck here in the dark. She insists on keeping on looking for arrowhead stones. While she is doing her thing, I take a picture of her bending over trying to find one (I love this picture :) ) . She insists to this day that it is a genuine arrowhead as it looks like ones we saw at a shop later that night or the morning. We can debate about her stone but finally someone ends the debate about a stone a lady found years ago.
read below with more.
“I first picked it up because I noticed the unusual shape like an arrowhead, but when I held it I felt how dense it was,” Johnson said. “When I was a little girl of about eight in The Netherlands, I remember my father telling me that you will always know a meteorite because it is heavy for its size. I always kept it and showed it to people, saying that I had found something unusual.”

Life-long interest in meteorites
pays off for B.C. woman
31 July 2006
http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/PMSearch/PMSearch_johnson.html


The Pararie Meteor Search
http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/PMSearch/
Includes information below
July 31, 2006 - BC woman finds iron meteorite near Prince Rupert
http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/PMSearch/PMSearch_johnson.html
December 15, 2005: A record year for meteorite recovery in Canada
September 19, 2005: Alberta’s Centennial meteorite discovered near Edmonton
July 14, 2005: Manitoba meteorite hunter scores again
June 10, 2004: Alberta farmer finds Canada’s newest meteorite: Belly River Buttes
April 20, 2004: Bernic Lake - another new meteorite from Manitoba

Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy@aol.com), Olathe, KS

No comments: